Top Five is a simple no prep ESL game that is a great way to end your last lesson with students in a fun and competitive way. In this activity, students are put into teams and are given a category. From their category they must guess what might be the top five in that category. For each answer guessed correctly from the list the team is awarded 1 point. If the team guess the correct position in the list they are awarded an additional point. The team with the most correct points at the end of the game are the winners.
Activity time: 10 minutes +
Materials required: List of categories, see below, paper and pencil for each group
Skills practiced: Speaking
Level: Teens and adults Intermediate and above
- Split your class into teams of 3 or 4 students.
- Explain to students that you are going to give them a category and that they must think of the top the top five in that category. For example “What are the top five largest countries in the world by area?”
- In their teams, students discuss and write their list of what they think is the answer.
- After a few minutes, the teacher writes the team’s answers on the board and then tells the students the actual answers.
- Award teams 1 point for a correct answer and an extra 1 point if they guess the correct position. The team with the most points are the winners.
|What are the top five largest countries in the world by area?||What are the top five most populated cities in the world? |
|What are the top five most spoken languages in the world?||What are the top five most popular pets in the world?|
|What are the top five most played sports in the world? ||What are the top five highest grossing movies of all time? |
|What are the top five most visited websites in the world? ||What are the top 5 most expensive football players of all time? |
|Who are the top five selling music artists of all time? ||What are the top five most visited tourist destinations in the world?|
|What are the most popular tourist attractions in the world?||What is the five most popular food in the world?|