Alphabetti Spaghetti is a simple game to practice the alphabet with students. This game can be adapted to practice numbers or anything that can be put in order. This is a great activity to get students out of their seats and on their feet.
This is a great game for kindergarten. This game is easy, but you have to make sure that the young learners are familiar with the vocabulary you want to practice and check with them or else they will feel discouraged and find it difficult to play.
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials required: Two sets of flashcards (Example: colors and different fruit)
Skills practiced: vocabulary, memorization
1. Categorize the fruit flashcards according to their colors. (EXAMPLE: Yellow group could be Banana, lemon. Orange group could be orange, mango, Red Group could apple, strawberry, tomatoes, peach and so on)
2. Show them each fruit flashcard and ask them to tell you the color.
3. After the entire vocabulary items are placed in their groups, then ask them again with more emphasis on the color, EXAMPLE: What do we have in the Red group? Then start showing them the flashcards from the Red category. When they say “a strawberry” you will say “a RED strawberry” stressing the colour RED.
4. Repeat the process for all color groups of fruit.
5. When they are familiarized with the fruits and their colors, you will say the fruit and they will say the color.
EXAMPLE: when you say apple, they will say red, when you say banana, they will say yellow and so on.
6. Next, you will have to say the color and they will mention all the fruits in that category.
7. Reward the kids for their great performance; this will stimulate their motivation to learn more.