This activity is a simple way to have fun introducing your students to some Halloween idioms. This activity is perfect for teen and adult classes and is a great way to learn some idioms while having some seasonal fun.
Level: B1, B2 (FCE), C1 (CAE) and C2 (CPE).
Time: 15 minutes+
- Put students in pairs or groups.
- Explain that they are going to see pictures which visually represent some Halloween idioms.
- In their groups, students must decide what the idiom is. If a group gets any of the words correct, they get a point for each correct word.
- After each idiom the teacher awards points to each team and explains the meaning of the idiom. Ask students to think or explain similar expressions in their own language.
- Get students to predict what the Idiom might mean and how would it be used.
- Have fun!
1. Make someone’s blood boil. – to make someone very angry
Ex: It just makes my blood boil to think of the amount of food that gets wasted around here.
2. Ghost town – A ghost town is a town that has been abandoned or is in decline and has very little activity.
Ex: This town is a ghost town, there is never anything happening.
3. Stab in the back – to stab someone in the back means to betray them
Ex: After all I did for him, he stabbed me in the back when he told all those lies about me.
4. Skeleton in the Cupboard – a scandal that is kept secret
Ex: James has a few skeletons in his cupboard and is terrified that he will be found out.
5. Skeleton staff – the fewest number of people needed in an office
Ex: We always operate with a skeleton staff over the Christmas period.
6. Scared to death – so scared that you cannot move
Ex. I am scared stiff of walking on ice.
7. Scare the pants off someone – to frighten someone a lot
Ex: The film “Nightmare on Elm Street” scared the pants off me.
8. Make the blood run cold – to totally scare you
Ex: The screams in the woods made my blood run cold.
9. In cold blood – to act in cold blood is to do something without any emotion and deliberately
Ex: The victim was shot in cold blood.
10. A witch hunt – an investigation carried out under the pretext of uncovering illegal activity but is actually used to harass people with different views.
Ex: The Government has been accused of carrying out a witch-hunt on small businesses.