The Ship Comes Loaded is a simple and challenging game that can be played without preparation. This game is effective for learning and reviewing vocabulary beginning with a certain letter and your students will love it.
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials required: None
Skills practiced: Vocabulary (beginning with certain letters)
Level: All levels
- Ask the students to sit in a circle
- Tell the students the rule of the game “all words they say must begin with the selected letter”.
- Instruct the students to choose any letter from the alphabet. Example: letter C
- Start the game by saying “A ship comes loaded”
- One of the students should ask “with what?” Then you answer by saying any word that begins with the selected alphabet EXAMPLE: with carrots.
- The student will then say to the next student “A ship comes loaded”
- The next student then asks “with what?” the student answers “with carrots and cucumber” and so on
- The students must remember the words that have been said previously and add a new word that begins with the selected letter, and they are not allowed to write anything.
- If a student cannot come up with a new word beginning with the selected letter, or cannot remember the words that have been said, they are out of the game.
- The game continues until there is “the last man standing”, who is the ultimate winner.